Thank you for your interest in the BIO-CAT Study!
To investigate the effects of enzyme supplements on digestion. We are looking for healthy adults between the ages of 50-75 with a BMI between 18-30.
This study will take place over the course of two three-week periods, where you will be asked to consume a daily supplement. At the end of each three-week period, you will be asked to visit the laboratory for a five-hour blood draw following consumption of a provided meal. You will also be asked to complete questionnaires about your bowel functions and sleep quality. For your participation, you can receive up to $200.
You will not be eligible for this study if:
- You regularly consume supplemental enzymes and are unwilling to stop.
- You regularly consume probiotic supplements and are unwilling to stop.
- You have an abnormality or obstruction of the gastrointestinal tract (e.g., known intestinal malabsorption, celiac disease, inflammatory bowel disease, etc.).
- You have dairy or lactose intolerance.
- You have diabetes.
- You have undergone bariatric surgery.
- You have an active malignant disease.
- You have liver failure.
- You have a history of a significant cardiovascular event ≤ 3 months prior to screening visit.
- You are currently diagnosed with, or have a history of severe dementia or delirium, eating disorder, history of significant neurological or psychiatric disorder, alcoholism, substance abuse or other conditions.
- You have undergone major surgery less than 6 weeks prior to enrollment in the study, or you have planned inpatient surgery requiring hospitalization during the study.
- You are currently being prescribed (by primary care physician or other health professional) medication or using an over-the-counter product that in the opinion of the study physician will influence food digestion or nutrient absorption during the study.
- You have received a COVID vaccine within 1 week of randomization or expected to receive a COVID vaccine during the study period.
- You have previously had a positive SARS-CoV-2 test and experienced symptoms for >2 months (i.e., “long-haulers”).
- You report alcohol intake as average of 3 or more servings per day.
- You are pregnant or lactating or planning to become pregnant during the study.
- You have an allergy or intolerance to any ingredient in the study product or test meal.
- You are deemed unsuitable for study based upon study physician assessment.
- You are in another clinical trial.
Location: Freer Hall