Thank you for your interest in the SNACKing Study!
To investigate the relationship between diet, gut health, and metabolic health. We are looking for healthy adults not allergic to nuts or wheat between the ages of 30-60 years who are not taking medications that affect gastrointestinal function. Additional exclusion criteria apply. Please contact us for further details.
This study will take place over the course of 13 weeks. You will be asked to consume a pre-prepared snack twice daily for 12-weeks. Snacks will be picked up from the testing site once per month.
You will also be asked to visit the laboratory two times for blood tests, bone density scans, liver ultrasounds, and questionnaires. You will also be asked to provide six stool samples throughout the course of the study.
For your participation, you will receive up to $500 for your
Eligible participants meet the following criteria:
- 30-60 years of age
- Body mass index between 25-34.9 kg/m2 (with no major recent weight change)
- No physician diagnosis of metabolic or gastrointestinal diseases or anemia
- Not currently taking lipid-lower medications, blood pressure medications, oral hypoglycemic agents, insulin, medications known to impact bowel function including proton pump inhibitors, laxatives, prokinetic agents, anticholinergics, antispasmodics, anticonvulsants, antidepressants, antipsychotics, bile acid sequestrants, calcium channel blockers, diuretics, and narcotics
- Not pregnant, lactating, or post-menopausal
- No tobacco use or more than 2 alcoholic beverages a day during the study
- Not allergic to nuts, wheat, or lidocaine/other topical anesthetics
- No history of bariatric surgery or gallbladder removal
- Not taking antibiotics or donated blood within the past 2 months from the start of your participation
Location: Freer Hall
NCT number: NCT04223323